Do you ever worry that your followers aren’t getting your messages? I mean, with all the e-mails, Facebook posts, Twitter feeds, and other stuff that they have coming across their screens, they can’t possibly look at everything. We all just have too much information, and not enough time to digest it all…so we miss some things.
But, what if you’ve got something extra-special or important to say, that you don’t want to be missed? How do you get that message across to your customers, amidst all the digital noise they’re experiencing?
You get old-fashioned on them! Send/give/hand out lovely printed promotions…tangible things that will take them by surprise. And while you have their attention, you can take their breath away, tug at their heartstrings, and remind them why they love you/your products or services (and oh, how they’re almost out of your handmade soaps, or they need your health coaching services, or they really another piece of your gorgeous jewelry). Here are a few ideas to get you started…
Touch Your Tribe with Paper & Ink!
- Every time you send out an order, whether you hand it to the customer in person, or ship it across the country, drop in a handwritten note or a special card, like a coupon or loyalty punch card, an invitation to your yearly clearance sale, or whatever you think will float their boat (and keep them comin’ back for more!).
- Hosting an event? Ask your local establishments if you can hang posters to promote it.. Say you’re having a meditation retreat nearby; look for yoga studios, therapist offices, and other places where your ideal clientele hang out, to hang your promo posters. Same thing if you’re having an online seminar teaching newbies the basics of meditation; as long as there is a large market for that sort of thing in your area, why not promote your online event to the locals?
- Soup up your business card. Especially if you attend a lot of networking events, you speak at a lot of conferences, or otherwise do a lot of in-person prospecting, you want the sort of business card that your ideal peeps couldn’t possibly throw away. Make it memorable, like a little window into the heart and soul of your business, to inspire curiosity and excitement in your ideal prospects.
- Product sellers, add some cool tags to your items and make them look even more desirable. If you sell exclusively online, take your product photos with tags on, and voila! Instant gotta-have-it factor!
- Give away freebies…bookmarks, coasters, or even planners with custom-printed covers…choose an item that relates to your business, and send one with every product order, mail one to your best clients as thank-you gifts, hand one to the fans who buy your book at a speaking event (or, to fans who come to your book signings). Make them feel special and valued = you may win yourself a loyal customer or client, perhaps even for life!
The bottom line here is to connect with your peeps on a level that immediately grabs their attention. Make your printed outreach special + memorable…the more clever and useful it is, the better your chances it will move your followers in your (desired) direction.
Got a cool paper + ink promo idea of your own to share? Have you ever been moved into action by a thoughtful promo piece that you received? Tell me about it in the comments below…
About Barbara Austin
As the graphic designer & founder of Sweet Dreamz Design, Barbara loves working with women entrepreneurs to brand their businesses. She shares a variety of small business advice and anecdotes here on the blog. Check back every week for new tips, inspirations, and how-to articles, or subscribe to get regular updates in your inbox each week!