Even though I’m often impatient to reach the next big goal in life, I can’t help but look back and appreciate all the experiences I’ve had, and how they’ve shaped me and led me to where I am – right here, right now, in 2013. And perhaps you’re the same way.
The fact that you’re reading this, is a good sign that you appreciate and enjoy the wisdom/beauty/service/passion/advice that I have to offer. So as you read below about some of the things that have shaped me, I hope you’ll be inspired to look at the big picture of your own life (and feel free to share your revelations in the comments!).
- Growing up on farm in Texas, I have strong appreciation for the great outdoors, fresh air, and wide open spaces. Even though I’m not an outdoorsy person, I still get a lot of inspiration from nature!
- I know it’s cliche, but the four years I spent at the university getting my BA in graphic design really were transcendental. In addition to the priceless memories I made, I also found my faith in God, and went from being a timid high-schooler to a budding young adult with big dreams.
- Even though I wasn’t entirely happy with it at the time, working at the local community college for two years taught me a lot of things, including the importance of good customer service. I learned to serve others, not just because it was my job, but because I had compassion for the students and wanted to help them.
- Running a shop on Etsy, in addition to being fun, has helped me develop and recognize my own style of design. Having the freedom to create whatever I wanted, was exactly the creative boost I needed to develop my own signature style.
- Finally, I have so many inspiring friends! Like my best friend, who is a single mom, working full-time and going to college so she can provide a better life for her son. And my long-distance pal, who has numerous debilitating health conditions, has been through a difficult divorce, and yet is still smiling and courageously moving forward with her life. My college friends continually lift me up with their examples of faith and love, and seeing my women entrepreneur comrades making strides in their businesses is the icing on the cake! So, here’s to you 😉
Now that you’ve caught a glimpse of the circumstances that have made me who I am… I wonder, what experiences have you had in your life, that influenced who you are now? I’d love to hear your stories, so please share in the comments below!
About Barbara Austin
As the graphic designer & founder of Sweet Dreamz Design, Barbara loves working with women entrepreneurs to brand their businesses. She shares a variety of small business advice and anecdotes here on the blog. Check back every week for new tips, inspirations, and how-to articles, or subscribe to get regular updates in your inbox each week!