Woo-hoo, 2013 is almost here! And considering that you and I are all wrapped up in the possibilities and hopes of the new year, I thought you might like a little boost of inspiration and ideas, to launch your business forward into this bright new horizon.
Today, I’m giving you six ideas to throw out the “old”, and next week, I’ll add seven more ideas for bringing in the “new”, for a total of thirteen business-boosting tips. Ready to rock? Awesome then, here we go…
Out with the old!
1. Redefine your passion, purpose, and/or your target market. If you’ve been wanting to get out of the niche you’re in, shift into a different way of thinking, or ditch your current clients and go out seeking new ones, use the new year as an excuse to JUST DO IT! Leave behind the things you’re no longer passionate about, to find the things that light you up today. Or refine your target market, to the people you most want to work with, not just the broad swath of folks you have previously done business with.
2. Cut the fat! If something hasn’t been selling well, it’s probably time for a change. Don’t be afraid to throw out the products or services that aren’t working, to make room for bigger-and-better things (more on that next week).
3. Tone down any marketing activities that are not working for you. If you’ve given it a fair chance + valiant effort, but it’s still not performing, it’s time to let it go so you can focus on those activities that DO work.
4. Have some bad eggs in your basket? Now’s the time to ditch those hard-to-handle clients, those drain-the-life-out-of-you customers, or even those e-mail subscribers who have only negative things to say to you (but for some odd reason, are still subscribed to your list). That way, you can start out the new year fresh, without those bad eggs stinking up the rest of your business.
6. Get rid of things that are cluttering up your physical space. For example, throw out that old dying plant on your desk, that pile of magazines you’re never going to read, and especially those old business plans and goal lists that are now a relic of the past. Once you’re in the throes of business resolutions and renovations, you’ll be so glad to have a clear desk space and a pleasant working environment in which to make the magic happen!
As for me, I’ve been doing tip #1 for the last month or so, and I’m working on implementing tips #5 and #6 in the first few days of January! Stay tuned for the remaining seven ideas next week, and in the meantime, feel free to share your own new year’s plans in the comments 😉
About Barbara Austin
As the graphic designer & founder of Sweet Dreamz Design, Barbara loves working with women entrepreneurs to brand their businesses. She shares a variety of small business advice and anecdotes here on the blog. Check back every week for new tips, inspirations, and how-to articles, or subscribe to get regular updates in your inbox each week!