In honor of President’s Day, I’m offering this two-part series on how to be a more effective leader. Look for Part 2: Creativity, coming next week.
Part 1: Vision
Regardless of who or what you’re leading, you need to know where you’re going. To take your followers from point A to point B, you have to know not only how to get there, but also why you’re going there in the first place. You may have heard me say this before, but I’ll say it again: don’t be stagnant – always keep moving forward. By crafting a solid vision for yourself and those you lead, you can keep going in the right direction.
Make sure your vision has these three components:
- Purpose: Know why you’re leading, what your passion is, and where you want to go.
- Plan: Figure out what needs to be done to get from point A to point B, and plan accordingly.
- Desired outcome: What happens when you get to point B? Does something else need to occur? Do you just celebrate and move on to point C?
Example vision of a (fictitious) personal trainer/fitness specialist:
- Purpose: Helping local people learn to love fitness, so they can improve their health and have more energy. Wants to reduce the local obesity rate by 10%.
- Plan: To use both one-on-one and group training programs to reach more people, and also speaking to local schools and businesses about how to achieve a healthy lifestyle.
- Desired outcome: To reach the 10%+ reduction in obesity, and then write a book about how the same programs and techniques can be replicated for other cities and towns across the country. After that, wants to record audio workouts for clients to download on iTunes, so they can continue to stay in shape on their own.
Once you have your vision in place, stick with it. Make adjustments along the way if necessary, and see your vision through to completion.
Stay tuned for Part 2: Creativity, coming next week!
If you like this blog post, you’ll love The Diamond Mine: A treasure trove of marketing advice, tips, and freebies, delivered to your inbox weekly. Click here to sign up!
About Barbara Austin
As the graphic designer & founder of Sweet Dreamz Design, Barbara loves working with women entrepreneurs to brand their businesses. She shares a variety of small business advice and anecdotes here on the blog. Check back every week for new tips, inspirations, and how-to articles, or subscribe to get regular updates in your inbox each week!