In many ways your “home”, or “landing”, page is the most important page on your website. It is often the first page new visitors see, so it has a big influence on whether they are interested enough to continue browsing your site. Ideally, your home page should pique visitors’ interest, give them essential information about your company, and encourage them to explore your website in depth and perhaps become your next new customer. Here’s how:
- Present essential info up-front.
- Tell them why they should care about what you offer (if you need help figuring out the “why”, watch How Great Leaders Inspire Action by Simon Sinek on YouTube).
- Provide basic information about you/your company, what you do, where you’re located, or whatever your prospective customers would need to know (save the details for your “About” page).
- Display company updates — the important stuff that you need them to see. Things like major product launches, big announcements that you don’t want them to miss, and so forth.
- Give them a call to action, such as:
- A special offer or coupon for first-time customers.
- An opt-in form where they can sign up to receive more info via e-mail.
- Invitations to check out your YouTube channel, “Like” your Facebook page, etc.
- Finally, make sure your visitors can easily get where they want to go within your site. Upon seeing your landing page, they might be totally psyched to check out your products or services, read your blog, or whatever, but if they can’t get to it from the home page, then what? They could very well leave disappointed, and go to some other company’s website to find what they were looking for.
Your landing page is the gateway to your website; use it to invite people in!
About Barbara Austin
As the graphic designer & founder of Sweet Dreamz Design, Barbara loves working with women entrepreneurs to brand their businesses. She shares a variety of small business advice and anecdotes here on the blog. Check back every week for new tips, inspirations, and how-to articles, or subscribe to get regular updates in your inbox each week!